Google the word Banoffee and you will see words like irresistible and delicious or phrases like ‘best dessert in the world’. Banoffee, like the name, is an amalgamation of bananas and toffee into one heck of a dessert ,and unless you hate either bananas or toffee or are just plain insane, I dare you not to love this.
I am a lover of anything banana and I’ve passed that on to my kids as well. Milkshakes, sweets, macarons … The list goes on.
So when researching Banoffee Pie recipes I knew that I had to try it out. Even though I can’t indulge at the moment (read here in case you’re wondering why) I knew 2 little girls that would love the socks off it.
It’s so simple and from what I’ve heard from my tasting panel it taste delicioso ( too much Dora the Explorer!) You will need a little bit of patience with the prep but believe me its worth it
Here’s the recipe for The Delicioso Banoffee Pie.
- 2x 330ml cans of condensed milk
- 6 Tbsp of melted butter plus extra for greasing
- 150g crushed digestive biscuits
- 50g toasted, ground almonds
- 50g toasted, ground hazelnuts
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 75g grated chocolate
- 450ml whipped, thick double cream
- Dulce De Leche – Place the cans of condensed milk into a large saucepan of water and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then reducethe heat and allow it to simer for 2 hours.( This is where the patience comes in.) be sure to top up the water regularly so that the cans are always covered or you run the risk of the cans exploding. After 2 hours, carefully remove the 2 cans and leave to cool completely before opening.
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Grease a 23cm flan tin or similar using the extra butter
- Mix together the crushed biscuit, nuts and butter in a bowl and then press the mixture evenly into the base and sides of the tin
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, then leave to cool
- Peel and slice the bananas
- Place the bananas in a bowl and sprinkle the lemon juice and vanilla essence over
- Mix it together gently, you don’t want to smush the bananas
- Spread the bananas over the biscuit crust
- Open the cans of condensed milk ( now dulce de leche ) and spoon over the bananas
- Sprinkle 50g of the chocolate over
- Finally spoon the whipped cream over and sprinkle the remaining chocolate
- Serve and enjoy!!